Our vision is to create a K-8 public school that utilizes hands-on projects, social-emotional learning, and family participation* to create a rich and academically rigorous educational program that will foster deeper learning, encourage creativity, and cultivate strong critical thinking, collaboration and communication skills. We strive to integrate the arts, foreign language instruction, and physical education into the academic program. We are committed to creating a school that is racially, ethnically, and culturally diverse, reflecting the diversity of our community.
Spark Charter School aims to complement the efforts of the Sunnyvale School District by offering an educational model that provides its students with the most effective ways to realize their potential. The school’s educational vision is rooted in constructivist learning theory, informed by neuroscience research, and exemplified by the respect and compassion for each child’s unique strengths. Instruction at Spark is based on a dynamic inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning. By integrating social emotional growth, physical movement, and the creative arts into a rigorous academic program, Spark raises the intellectual and social capital of each child and the diverse community it aims to serve.
To flourish in the 21st century, students must not only learn, but they must learn how to learn. They must develop a capacity for creativity, critical thinking, skillful problem solving, and effective communication. They must be culturally and globally aware, technically literate, and learn to develop a sense of personal and collective responsibility. SPARK Charter School, a K-8 public charter school, seeks to lead students on a collaborative, parent-assisted, hands-on learning adventure that will develop the skills and habits of mind necessary to succeed in a rapidly changing world.
SPARK Charter School is committed to:
Highlights and Key Features of Spark Charter School
- Curriculum and assessments designed to foster and evaluate deep understanding of content, creativity and analytical skills.
- Core lesson blocks that provide adequate time to delve into subjects in depth and use of materials that pique students’ curiosity and engage them in authentic hands-on learning.
- Social-emotional skills interwoven into the academic program.
- A culture and learning environment that supports the academic, social and emotional needs of all of its students.
- Development of long-term relationships with teachers and students using a "looping" approach in which students stay with the same teacher for two consecutive years.
- Creative arts & physical education integrated into the curriculum throughout the day.
- Enrichment and elective options such as: gardening, cooking, drama, foreign language, and dance are strategically integrated to support the curriculum.
- Technology is integrated into the curriculum and is used as a tool for teaching and learning, e.g. students regularly utilize technology for research, analysis, communication, skill building, and self-expression;
- A rigorous and multi-faceted assessment program. Formative and summative on-going assessments are used to inform instruction. Students and teachers work to develop and monitor learning goals and share them with their parents during student-led conferences.
- A teacher-led collaborative learning community that allows teachers to differentiate the curriculum to meet the needs of each student.
- A culture of family participation* and a strong sense of community. A community of lifelong learners composed of teachers, parents, and students. Respect for one another as learners is a key component of our school. Students are encouraged to share their knowledge and expertise with others. Developing student independence is a priority, and students are valued as decision-makers.
*By law, no public school (district or charter) can require parent participation. Parent participation at Spark is encouraged, but is not a requirement for application, and no child will be denied enrollment because parents have not participated.